Democratizing the Use of Artificial Intelligence
On May 17, 2023, UMass Boston announced the creation of The Paul English Applied Artificial Intelligence (AI) Institute, the nation’s first university-based institute dedicated to optimizing and democratizing the use of AI tools across a broad range of professions. Conceived and funded by tech entrepreneur and UMass Boston alumnus Paul English ’87, G’89, H’19, the new institute will formally launch during the academic year 2023-2024.
The institute’s research, education, and outreach activities will be embedded in academic study across campus and include a focus on the social, ethical, and diversity challenges and opportunities associated with emerging AI tools. The goal of the initiative is to give UMass Boston students in every field—who overwhelmingly join the Massachusetts workforce after graduation—the skills to excel in and shape the increasingly AI-powered world of work.
Institute Launch Event: Succeeding in an AI-Powered World
Check out the event recording "Succeeding in an AI-Powered World" panel discussion with Paul English and our expertsAccess Recording
The new generation of AI will change the jobs of everyone who uses a computer, and I will work closely with UMB as they leverage and develop AI tools across all their disciplines.PAUL ENGLISH ’87, G’89, H’19
AI is raising social, ethical and diversity questions that UMass Boston is ideally suited to explore. As we train the next generation... we are grateful for Paul’s leadership.UMASS BOSTON CHANCELLOR MARCELO SUÁREZ-OROZCO
About Paul English
Tech entrepreneur and philanthropist Paul English ’87, G’89, H’19, who earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in computer science at UMass Boston, conceived of the institute and committed $5 million to establish it at the university, along with an associated scholarship fund.
English is the founder or co-founder of several technology companies, including Boston Venture Studio, Deets, Kayak, Moonbeam, Reki, Xiangqi.com, FunContact, Lola, GetHuman, Boston Light and Intermute. He has also co-founded several non-profit organizations, including Embrace Boston, Summits Education in Haiti, Winter Walk for Homelessness and the Bipolar Social Club. His many speaking and media engagements include a TEDx Talk and an appearance on "How I Built This" with Guy Raz on NPR.
Read More About English and His Accomplishments
- A Monumental Moment, May 3, 2023
- UMass Boston Alumni Help Bring “The Embrace” to Boston Common, Jan. 15, 2023
- Starting a Successful Business: Q&A with Paul English, Nov. 07, 2019
- U.S. Rep. Ayanna Pressley Urges UMass Boston Class of 2019 to “Do Good, Do Work, Do Justice”, May 31, 2019
Press for the Institute
- Entrepreneur Paul English donates $5 million to UMass Boston to launch AI Institute, The Boston Globe, May 17, 2023
- AI Institute Launching At UMass Boston, NBC Boston, May 18, 2023
- UMass Boston Announces Creation of Paul English Applied Artificial Intelligence Institute, NNN, May 18, 2023
- AI Institute Launching At UMass Boston, State House News Service, May 17, 2023
- Paul English's donation helps create AI institute at UMass Boston, Boston Business Journal, May 18, 2023
- UMass Boston using $5M donation to create AI Institute, CBS News, May 18, 2023
- AI Institute Launching at UMass Boston, WHDH, May 18, 2023
- AI Institute Launching at UMass Boston, Head Topics UK, May 18, 2023
- UMass Boston using $5M donation to create AI Institute, CBS Boston, May 18, 2023
- AI Institute Launching At UMass Boston, NECN, May 18, 2023
How Do We Prepare Students for an AI-Driven World? Marcelo Suárez-Orozco, The Messenger, May 22, 2023